We are happy to announce that Maps Marker Pro v4.0-beta1 is finally available.
Please be aware of some profound changes (full release notes will follow with v4.0 final):
- changes to map concept: with v4.0 only maps and markers will be available anymore (the term layer maps is no longer used; marker maps cannot be created anymore – existing marker maps will be migrated).
- support for gpx elevation charts and waypoints has been added
- Leaflet.GestureHandling support has been added (Brings the basic functionality of Maps Gesture Handling into Leaflet and prevents users from getting trapped on the map when scrolling a long page).
- all settings for “Map defaults” in the Settings area have been removed – you can use the link “Save current values as defaults for new maps” instead when created a new map
- options to display the list of markers right or left to a layer map has been added
- MapQuest basemap support has been removed (due to MapQuest basemaps now requiring their own API, making them incompatible to be implemented into a standard Leaflet installation; existing MapQuest maps will be switched to OpenStreetMap automatically)
- (retired) Wikitude augmented reality API has been replaced with layar.com API
- (retired) Visualead QR code generator has been replaced with local QR code generator BaconQrCode
The design and interface on backend is also not final yet – the current focus is to test the new features and optimized code.
Anyway we do not recommend using v4.0-beta1 on production sites, as this is a first beta version and especially as the following features have not been ported yet (but will be added with future v4.0 beta releases):
- custom overlays
- custom basemaps
- WMS layers
- CSV/XLS(X)/OS import and
Please also be aware that future beta-releases might require to re-run the migration tool for migrating maps from v3.1.1-beta1, which will reset any changes made since v4.0-beta1 has been installed!
Know issues (help would be appreciated!)
- Google Mutant: iOS links in popuptext not clickable – see https://gitlab.com/IvanSanchez/Leaflet.GridLayer.GoogleMutant/issues/42 for details
- Gesture Handling Plugin does not support translations yet (details)
Please also do not delete v3.1.1 at least unless v4.0 final is available, as there still might be changes to the database structure and the need to re-run the migration tool to update your data!
how to update to 4.0-beta1
Warning: it is not recommended to install 4.0-beta1 on production sites! In addition we recommend to backup your site (especially the database) regularly so in case of an issue with this beta release you can always perform a full rollback if needed!
As technically speaking Maps Marker Pro 4.0 is a new plugin, the update process is a bit different than usually:
In order to be able to update to this beta release, you first have to set beta-testing in Settings / Misc to enabled:
As next step after saving your settings, navigate to Plugins and click on the link “Manually check for updates” next to “Maps Marker Pro”:
As next step click on the link “Update now” to update to v3.1.1-beta1.
After update to v3.1.1-beta1 is finished, you are ready to start the installation of “Maps Marker Pro” 4.0 as new plugin. So please click “please click here for more information” to proceed to the next step:
This will take you to the “Update to Maps Marker Pro 4” page. Start the installation as new plugin by clicking on the button “Sounds good! I want to update to Maps Marker Pro 4 now!”:
After the plugin has been installed, please first deactivate “Maps Marker Pro” (v3.1.1-beta1) before activating “Maps Marker Pro” (v4.0-beta1):
After activating v4.0-beta1, you will see an admin notice which will take you to the data migration tool page:
As next step, please start the datamigration by clicking the button “Start Migration”:
After migration is finished, you will see the message “Data migration completed successfully”:
That´s it – now you can start using Maps Marker Pro v4.0-beta1.
Please do not delete v3.1.1 at least unless v4.0 final is available, as there still might be changes to the database structure and the need to re-run the migration tool to update your data!
how to install 4.0-beta1 from scratch
For directly downloading and installing the v4.0-beta1 package as zip file, please click here.
Please make sure to also set beta-testing in Settings / Misc to enabled to get notified about future beta releases!
how to rollback to v3.1.1-beta1
If you want to use v3.1.1-beta1 again, please first deactivate Maps Marker Pro v4.0-beta1 and then activate Maps Marker Pro v3.1.1-beta1 again.
Please be aware that any maps which have been created with Maps Marker Prov 4.0-beta1 will not be visible with Maps Marker Pro v3.1.1-beta1, as a complete new database schema is used!