Google has changed the Google Maps API on June 22nd 2016, requiring a mandatory Google API key for all sites, which call the Google Maps API services for the first time after June 22nd 2016 – full details here.
As a consequence Google Maps basemaps are disabled by default for all new installations since Leaflet Maps Marker v3.11 and Maps Marker Pro v2.8.
Tutorial: how to register for a free Google Maps API key and enable Google basemaps for Maps Marker Pro / Leaflet Maps Marker
- Click ‘Get A Key’.
- Sign in with your Google Account (or create a new one first)
- a. If you want to use an existing project, please select it from the list.
- b. Otherwise, select ‘Create a new project’, enter a project name and click on “Create an enable API”:
- Copy the generated key from the popup
- Optional, but recommended to prevent quota theft: click on the link “API Console” below your API key and set a HTTP referrer for your key so that it can only be used on your domains:
– choose “HTTP referrers (web sites)” from “Key restrictions”
– enter your domain(s) in the format *.yourdomain.com/* to “Accept requests from these HTTP referrers (web sites)”
– finish by clicking the “Save” button
- Optional: Enable billing. See Usage Limits for more information.
- Log in on your WordPress Admin and navigate to Maps Marker Pro / Settings:
Done. Now you should be able to create new marker and layer maps using Google Maps as basemaps:
If you experience any issues, please open a support ticket and we will be glad to help!