Each map has a corresponding KML-Feed which can be accessed directly, e.g.
You can use the generated KML-file to display the included markers or layers directly in Google Earth which is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Please note that you need an internet connection to display your maps correctly as the marker icons and popup-images are loaded from the source you provided them.
- Download your marker or layer KML file by using a link from above
- Login at http://maps.google.com with your Google Account
- Click on my places
- Click on “Create new map”
- Click on “Import”
- Select the KML file you downloaded previously (note: loading from URL often doesn´t work on Google Maps as reported in user forums)
- Click button “Upload from file”
- Save your map